I've been loving the dainty, East-Indian inspired hand bracelets that connect your ring to your wrist via a dainty chain. The connecting chain offers that little something extra that catches the eye and will make your jewelry stand out from the crowd.
Can you believe it's September?! Sorry for the lack of posting over the summer. I took a short hiatus to regroup, refocus, and recharge. But I am excited to be back to discuss all things jewelry! What better time to start things up again than with the change of a new season. Fall is my favorite season. I love the weather, the fashion, the food...it's all scrumptious.
Here's what on my radar for fall jewelry trends. Have a great week!
Gold still reigns supreme but silver is making a comeback in a big way.
A single loop followed by a dangling tendril, lariats are fresh and unexpected neck candy this season.
From earrings and necklaces to bracelets and rings. Find DIY versions floating around the web for a more affordable option.
4. Bracelets chained to rings
Linked by a dainty chain, bracelet/ring combos have a modern twist with a hint of bohemia.
5. Thumb rings
Though often ignored, your stumpiest digit gets a reboot this fall.
6. Double sided earrings
I love these! Earrings with flare on both sides of the lobe bring interest and edge to classic studs.
There's no better time to pile on the friendship bracelets than in the summer. These soft, bright bracelets have a casual feel and stir up memories of long days at camp, sun kissed locks, sandy toes, and best friends.
I've rounded up my top summery bracelets below. Will you be wearing friendship bracelets this summer?
One year ago I did a post on ombre jewelry (here) and my obsession is still going strong. My favourite piece from my round-up was (and still is!) this Elisa Solomon ombre eternity band (shop it here and here).
The ring is handcrafted in 18K gold and features multi-coloured stones including pink sapphire, garnet, citrine, blue sapphire, emerald, peridot, aquamarine, and amethyst. It's like having a little rainbow wrapped around your finger! It's so unique and I love the sunny, bright colours for summer. I wore it stacked up with a few other favourites for a friend's wedding --but it wears equally as well alone. Welcome to my everyday rotation, little rainbow!
We're getting set for a little trip to Paris and it got me thinking about travel neccessities. We're flying with a soon-to-be one year making the need for planning and a very precise packing list quite high. Here are a few travel essentials off of my current Paris trip list.
5. A travel journal. Jot down your memories in this Rifle Paper Co. journal so you'll never forget them. I also recommend taking notes ahead of time so you don't miss out on any key landmarks, must-try restaurants, and boutiques (write down those addresses!).
6. Ray-Ban New Wayfarers. I love this update on the original. Every holiday needs a good set of sunglasses.
7. Snacks. Snacks for me. Snacks for the baby. Neither of us do well going hungry.
When I first saw Tracy Dungo's jewelry line, Kalaki Riot, I was taken by its beachy vibe, the way it lends itself to layering, and the beauty revealed in its simplicity. Based out of New York City, but with a decidedly care-free vibe, Tracy's designs find have an organic feel and pair wonderfully with one another.
Keep reading for more on Tracy's designer life and the inspiration behind her alluring designs.
1. Take us back to the beginning. How did you get into jewelry design and what, if any, is your training? I never formally went to school for jewelry design but I took a jewelry making class in search of a creative outlet to my day job and was immediately hooked. Making those first couple designs come to life really was the coolest feeling. I spent most of my career working for a luxury retail brand and in publishing so those experiences really shaped my initial interest in creating a business around things I like to make and would wear. 2. Where do you draw your inspiration from? A lot of things! Many times I’ll draw inspiration out of necessity. If I’m in need of a specific piece, like earrings I can wear every day, I’ll design some. I also love incorporating findings or concepts that I’ll discover on my travels, especially when I’m working a new collection. That’s a big reason why I love jewelry design- everything sort of becomes your own interpretation of whatever it was that originally inspired you. 3. Who would your dream client be? All of my clients are dream clients! But I would probably freak out seeing Jessica Alba or the Olsen twins wearing my pieces. 4. Being a jewelry designer, what do you like best about your job? What are some of the most challenging aspects of running your business? How rewarding it is to see customers wearing and styling my work- it’s the coolest thing every time. As far as the actual business goes, I love being location independent and seeing the impact of the work I put in. In my previous careers, it almost felt like people would kill themselves over deadlines and projects and without seeing the end result or the impact that their work even had on the overall business at the end of the day. But now, I definitely see how things that I do (or don’t do) will affect my brand’s performance, which can definitely be challenging at times as well. 5. What is your typical day like? I’ll usually do benchwork in the morning so I can dedicate the rest of the day to meetings and the business side of my brand (i.e. marketing, partnerships, website, etc.). And I ship on specific days too (so I’m not running to the post office every day). It’s loosely structured but no two days are ever the same, which I love!
6. If you could go back and give your 20 year old self some advice, what would it be?
To identify your natural strengths and passions, and then strive to build a life around them so when the time comes, you can.
Thanks Tracy! Looking forward to following along with your success and keeping my eye on your destination bar necklace - such a neat idea!
I am thrilled to share Lauren Elan Collections' newest Spring/Summer line! After a brief hiatus following the birth of her daughter, Lauren is back, inspired, and better than ever. As always, the line includes plenty of Lauren Elan signature sparkle, pops of neon, and some heavier mixed metal stunners.
The SS14 line just screams summer. The colourful necklaces and bracelets are perfect for season; the sparkly pieces will have you ready the prettiest of weddings; and the elements of mixed metal can be worn just as easily for breezy days as for summer soirées.
Take a look at a few of my favourites below and check out the full spring/summer line at laurenelan.com.
This year I'll be celebrating my very first Mother's Day! I can't wait to celebrate being the momma of my precious, loving, funny little girl. For me it's not about a gift. Really. My ideal Mother's Day would be spending the day with my little family and maybe getting a little down time or pampering along the way ;) And as for gifts? Here are a few fail-safe gifts that any Mom would enjoy.
1. Sparkle Talon Cuff, CampbellGive your Mom a little arm candy. She'll think of you every time she looks at her new sparkle.
2. Prosperity Candles (use code 'happymom' for 20% site until May 11) Candles for a good cause! Something Mom would be proud of.
3. Tory Burch perfume, SephoraThe scent of a sophisticated woman.
4. Clarins Beauty Flash Balm Pamper Mom with an indulgent moisturizer/primer/miracle cream.
5. iPad Mini case, bright (Kate Spade) or Classic (Trask) Outfit her iPad with either of these stylish options.
6. Pendant Necklace, J. CrewYou can't fail with a JCrew sparkler.
7. Sentimental Coffee Mugs Chapters Indigo here and hereTell her how you really feel...with coffee.
Part rock 'n roll, part retro Hollywood, Gwen Stefani knows her style and sticks to it. With her signature platinum locks and ever-present red lip, Gwen walks the line between edgy and classic, seamlessly blending the two into a look uniquely her own.
As for accessories, the hip momma-of-three favors stacks of chunky bracelets, retro sunglasses, and funky hats.
I write Jolie Jouel - your source for pretty baubles and major eye candy. I am constantly on the lookout for the newest, chicest, sparkliest jewelry out there and the stories behind the inspiring designers who create them. Happy browsing!
For questions, comments, collaborations, or freelance writing inquiries contact: firstname.lastname@example.org